Massive performance degradation when using Java > 1.8

Description

While upgrading Tomcat, Java and Lucee and also using ARR instead of BonCode, our Application runs as expected in terms of functionality. But we encounterd a performance degradation by 30%-100%. I did some testing using several Lucee Versions, different Tomcat Version and different Java JDK/JRE's:

Testing Matrix
***************

  • Lucee 5.1.x to 5.3.2.77

  • Java JDK/JRE from 1.8 to 1.11 (zulu, adpot, oracle, openjdk, amazon)

  • Tomcat 9.0.16/9.0.17/9.0.20

Results:
********
No specific Lucee or Tomcat Version could be identified to be a reasonable factor for speed degradation. But as soon as Java > 1.8 (where applicable), the performance degradation is present.

I add some testscripts and images showing the results running them with Lucee 5.3.2.74. The only difference between them ist Java1.8 (~19ms) and Java1.9 (~25ms). This shows that Java 1.9 requires 130% of precessing time compared to Java 1.8 for the testscripts.

Running our Applications with Java 1.9 requires up to 200% of the processing time of running with Java 1.8. The timing/debugging data shows that almost everthing is slower, by which i mean i could not identify a single tag/function or feature/extension to use massively more time. Most of them run slower.

There is a thread regarding this in the forum:
https://dev.lucee.org/t/lucee-5-3-tomcat-9-openjdk/5529

Environment

Windows Server 2012 R2 Standard x64
Microsoft IIS 8.5
Microsoft ARR 3.0
Tomcat 9.0.17 x64
Oracle OpenJDK jdk-9.0.4 x64
Lucee 5.3.2.77 (lucee-5.3.2.77.jar)

  • No Installer used.

Status

Assignee

Unassigned

Reporter

Philip Eyb

Labels

None

Sprint

None

Fix versions

Affects versions

5.3.2.77

Priority

Critical