two problem upgrading from Lucee 5.3.2.77 to Lucee version 5.3.3.62

Description

Hi to all,
two problems upgrading to the new RC 5.3.3.62

1. after Lucee version update, we have also upgraded the Microsoft SQL Server (Vendor Microsoft) from version 7.2.1.jre8 to version 7.2.2.jre8

... and after a fresh reboot system start to report the below messages to the catalina.log

---------------
Exception in thread "http-nio-8888-exec-37" Exception in thread "http-nio-8888-exec-33" java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: Java heap space
Exception in thread "http-nio-8888-exec-41" Exception in thread "http-nio-8888-exec-46" Exception in thread "Thread-5" at java.nio.HeapCharBuffer.<init>(HeapCharBuffer.java:57)
Exception in thread "ajp-nio-8009-ClientPoller-1" at java.nio.CharBuffer.allocate(CharBuffer.java:335)
Exception in thread "http-nio-8888-exec-30" Exception in thread "http-nio-8888-exec-53" at org.apache.catalina.connector.InputBuffer.<init>(InputBuffer.java:162)
Exception in thread "http-nio-8888-exec-36" at org.apache.catalina.connector.InputBuffer.<init>(InputBuffer.java:147)
at org.apache.catalina.connector.Request.<init>(Request.java:251)
-----------------------------

looking for a solution we have updated the Tomcat /opt/lucee/tomcat/bin/setenv.sh
from
CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx1024m";
to
CATALINA_OPTS="-Xms512m -Xmx2048m";

Now the Lucee log don't report any Out memory message.
The heap space in the Admin overview show use of memory of 50%/55%

2. Monitoring the Overview we start to see another problem:
Now the System Metrics / Memory show 50% of memory use in the graph Series, but the details of use is Series UNDEFINED%.

Can we do something to resolve of better configure this version?

Environment

Servlet Container Apache Tomcat/8.5.24
Java 1.8.0_152 (Oracle Corporation) 64bit
Host Name 10.8.0.1
OS Linux (3.10.0-693.21.1.el7.x86_64) 64bit
Architecture 64bi

Activity

Show:
Alex Skinner
November 25, 2019, 1:06 PM

You have changed 3 things, lucee version , jdbc driver version and heap settings. I would suggest you spin up a dev environment and step through just upgrading the lucee version and report back there isn’t enough info on the ticket as it presently stands to understand what the problem is, does lucee fail to start ?

David R.
November 25, 2019, 4:06 PM

lucee is working. no other errors are reported by log (catalina)
the only suspected think is the memory use (heap space) after the upgrade

David R.
November 26, 2019, 12:33 PM

Just an update for my problem.
I pay attenction to the file logging.properties that is like that

1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.level = FINE
1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.prefix = catalina.

Today I changed the file logging.properties enabling the below rows:

1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.maxDays = 60
1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.encoding = UTF-8

2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.level = FINE
2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.prefix = localhost.
2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.maxDays = 60
2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.encoding = UTF-8

All these lines were commented.

After I enabled them and a lucee service restart, I noiced now that Lucee ha Memory heap space under 25%.

the logging.properties file now is:

handlers = 1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler, 2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler, 3manager.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler, 4host-manager.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler, java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

.handlers = 1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler, java.util.logging.ConsoleHandler

############################################################

Handler specific properties.

Describes specific configuration info for Handlers.

############################################################

1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.level = FINE
1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.prefix = catalina.
1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.maxDays = 60
1catalina.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.encoding = UTF-8

2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.level = FINE
2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.directory = ${catalina.base}/logs
2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.prefix = localhost.
2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.maxDays = 60
2localhost.org.apache.juli.AsyncFileHandler.encoding = UTF-8

 

 

Zac Spitzer
November 26, 2019, 12:59 PM

the good news is the undefined metrics tooltips is and that was fixed in 5.3.4.45

David R.
November 26, 2019, 1:06 PM

Wonderful !

Fixed

Assignee

Pothys - MitrahSoft

Reporter

David R.

Priority

New

Labels

Fix versions

Affects versions

Configure